Re: Signing Document and PICS

Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

> It isn't safe, if only because making such claims seems to inspire
> significant violence around the right group of people.
>
> And if you run those semi-XHTML documents through a validating XML 1.0
> parser, you've got big problems to deal with.

These days, it seems you've got problems to deal with running any XHTML
document (valid or not) through a validating XML 1.0 parser. You've got even
bigger problems running a namespace document through.

> I'd love to see processing models which permitted such 'safe' use of
> content in undeclared namespaces anywhere inside a document, but I think
> RELAX - which offers a 'divide and conquer' strategy (see
> http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1109) - is about the only thing at all
> resembling that kind of processing in a validating environment.

I can't say I'm an expert in validation, but I do know that RSS takes this
approach, and we have schemas in Schematron, Examplotron, RELAX (coming
soon), and a bunch more I can't remember. I'm sure other namespaced formats
do this and work too.