Re: Processing Instructions, not Magic Comments

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Arjun Ray wrote:

>> [Also, you seem to be alluding to at least one prior discussion. Can
>> you provide a URL?  Thanks.]
>
> This is a recurring discussion. Search for "MathML in XHTML", "XHTML as
> text/html", "MathML in text/html", and other such topics in www-html,
> www-talk,

If there's some way of using the search engine at lists.w3.org to this
end that returns a set viewable in finite time, I'd appreciate the
pointers, because after an hour of trying this and that, and finally
inspecting the subject indexes month by month, I still drew a blank.

> w3c-html-wg,

There is no public archive for this list.

> mozilla-mathml

I can't tell the exact relation between this list and the newsgroup
netscape.public.mozilla.mathml at news.mozilla.org.  On the newsgroup,
chasing some leads found the "Cannot render MathML" thread.

> and probably several other such lists, Mozilla's bug database, and
> so on.

Well, I'm not sure how much time I'm expected to invest in forensic
trawling of various lists, just to determine what exact problem the
so-called magic comment is supposed to be the best solution to date.
(My "counter-proposal" of a PI was based on the general principle that
wherever some Netscape-whipped tagsouper raised the Bright Idea of a
magical comment, he was actually looking for a PI without knowing it.)

> I'd be surprised if it didn't, though, since it seems that I'm
> permanently watching or participating in a conversation in this
> topic in some forum or another...

A URL with a concise statement of the problem, and possibly a
discussion of the approaches, would help.

Arjun