Re: order of form fields

Dmitry Beransky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This question came up on one of the perl development lists.  Once again, I
> remember reading about this somewhere in a spec, but where? I could have
> sworn that it was stated that user agents are not required to return the
> fields in the same order they were parsed from the html stream.  Does
> anyone know which spec it was?

Since HTML 2.0 user agents are required to preserve order:

     The fields are listed in the order they appear in the document with
     the name separated from the value by `=' and the pairs separated
     from each other by `&'.

     -- Form Submission in HTML 2.0

The relevant section from HTML 4.0 says the same thing.

--
Dan Connolly, W3C