Re: user agent label format

Dmitry Beransky wrote:

> It seems that despite the fact that most agents (at least the ones I pulled
> off my server logs) follow the format specified in the HTTP spec, it's
> still impossible to determine with 100% accuracy the agent's make, model,
> os platform, etc., since most of this info is stored in an unstructured
> comment field.  Is there any work done on trying to further standardize the
> agent data?

Not that I'm aware of.

I wish URIs had been used to identify user agents, but that's
water under the bridge, and a lot of it, by now.

Oh! Hm... I think there's some content negotiation work on standardized
ways to transmit screen resolution and stuff... I seem to
recall some proposal for doing this in the User-Agent: header,
but I think that's fallen out of favor.

See:

http://gewis.win.tue.nl/~koen/conneg/
(which I found by browsing