Re: Persistent connections: current implementations?

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> If anyone on this list knows about clients and/or servers which
> currently support persistent connections, could you let me know?
> Do they all use the "Connection: Keep-Alive" header to indicate
> that a connection should be held open?

Apache 1.1 and later support persistent connections with Connection:
Keep-Alive for any document that would return with a Content-length
header. Apache 1.2 and later also do HTTP/1.1 persistent connections
(when a HTTP/1.1 request was given, of course), on all non-error

As far as I'm aware, current versions of Netscape Navigator and MSIE
(to name two popular web browsers) both support persistent connections
with the Keep-Alive methods.

> Do any clients or servers support the scheme where the server
> transmits all the inline images immediately after transmitting
> a document, even if the client doesn't ask?

I'm a bit unclear on what you mean here. Do you mean the GETALL
methods or whatnot? If you're implying that a server should be able to
respond to a GET request with inline images afterwards, that's a
rather bad idea, IMHO, given that HTTP/1.1 supports pipelining, and
the responses could get confused...

At any rate, Apache doesn't do either.