Re: Persistent connections: current implementations?

Ka-Ping wrote:
> If anyone on this list knows about clients and/or servers which
> currently support persistent connections, could you let me know?

I've added partial support for HTTP/1.1, including persistent connections
in particular, to the tclhttpd server.  The code has not been released
publically yet, but should be soon (I want to complete more of the
implementation first).

> Do they all use the "Connection: Keep-Alive" header to indicate
> that a connection should be held open?

tclhttpd does not at this stage - it just implements persistent connections
as per HTTP/1.1.  Adding backward-compatibility for Keep-Alive should be
trivial.

> Do any clients or servers support the scheme where the server
> transmits all the inline images immediately after transmitting
> a document, even if the client doesn't ask?

tclhttpd does not.  What you need is pipelining - similar effect, but the
client does explicitly ask for the documents.

Cheers,
Steve Ball, DCS ANU.