Re: study completed

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Tai Jin wrote:

> I hate to followup on my own message, but...
>
> > In either case, there's the additional latency generated by the
> > request to the server.  Your method has the advantage that the page
> > can be displayed before getting a response from the server.  However,
>
> As someone else had mentioned, there's also the overhead of server
> processing which is nontrivial, especially when using the CGI
> mechanism.

I think that the overhead varies by operating system, I have had few CGI
task initiation overhead problems on UNIX systems. On NT this may be a
different story. Blanket statments may not fit all cases.

> This brings up another issue: why can't I put in some kind of meta
> data for an inline object which specifies cache parameters?  I realize
> that caching attributes have nothing to do with markup, but having to
> kludge this type of behavior with CGI is not acceptable.  It would be
> trivial to add these attributes in HTML.  It's already there in the
> form of the META tag.  Perhaps it can be extended with an attribute to
> refer to specific named inline objects.

There are a number of parameters that are available for dynamicly produced
pages. One of these is the "Expires: " header that can define to the
browser when the page will not be good any longer. The other is the
META NO-CACHE parameter the exact tag is-
<head>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
</head>
but keep in mind that his does not work for all browsers!

Gerald Edgar
Development Lead
Free Range Media
creaters of Prentice-Hall Direct, Baywatch, Alan Guttmacher Institute,
Resort Condominiums International, Apartment Guides, portions of the
Microsoft site, FutureShop and many other web sites on UNIX and NT
platforms