Re: HTTP header suggestion/request

On Nov 9,  1:45am, Larry Masinter wrote:
> Subject: Re: HTTP header suggestion/request
> There's been some discussion of revising RFC 1806 & moving it onto
> standards track. Perhaps the applicability in HTTP/1.x could be
> discussed in the revision?
>
> Larry
>
>-- End of excerpt from Larry Masinter

IMHO Larry's right.  More documents are being downloaded indirectly via
scripts or server modules every week.  There needs to be a method by
which the server or an agent can instruct a UA to save a certain filename
with the correct filetype and ask the user if he/she wants to view it.
RFC 1806 has such a structure and is one I believe belongs in HTTP/1.x.

The point about correct filetype is important to the MAC community and to
the Win95/NT community to a lesser degree.  Otherwise downloaded files become
some unknown type and creator and the end user has to hunt around to find the
correct application. This cycles back to the discussion on filetype registry
et al and content negotiation.  All of this needs to addressed in order to
minimize the amount of hacks that have to done in order to work around a
UA that thinks it knows better.

							Kevin

Kevin J. Dyer					Draper Laboratory  MS 23.
Email: <kdyer@draper.com>		        555 Tech. Sq.
Phone: 617-258-4962				Cambridge, MA 02139
FAX: 617-258-2121
	Lesson learned by a user: "Beware geeks bearing GIFs"