Re: HTTP header suggestion/request

On Nov 8,  8:47am, MegaZone wrote:
> Subject: Re: HTTP header suggestion/request
> Once upon a time Kevin J. Dyer shaped the electrons to say...
> >  What UAs support this?  Or are you supplying a "plug-in" to the UA?
>
> I tested it in Netscape 3.0 on SunOS 4.1.4 so far and it worked fine.
> Lynx 2.5 on IRIX ignored it.
>
> I'll test it on MSIE 3.0 and NS 3.0 on Win95 when I get home.

  I just ran the test for NS 3.0 on Win95 and it works using octet-stream.
It fails for NS 3.0 on the MAC. I'll try it on NS 3.0 on IRIX a this afternoon.

When I reread 1806, I found an intersting section on page 5.

   "The following body part contains a JPEG image that should be displayed
    to the user only if the user requests it.  If the JPEG is written to a
    file, the file sould be named "genome.jpg":

        <jpeg data>"

 I ran a test with a GIF image and changed the application/octet-stream to
image/gif.  NS 3.0 on Sol 2.5 and Win95 displayed the image instead of
asking to save it.  Well they did it 25 percent or so right.

> -MZ
> --

>-- End of excerpt from MegaZone

Kevin J. Dyer					Draper Laboratory  MS 23.
Email: <kdyer@draper.com>		        555 Tech. Sq.
Phone: 617-258-4962				Cambridge, MA 02139
FAX: 617-258-2121
	Lesson learned by a user: "Beware geeks bearing GIFs"