Re: <br> in <td>

At 04:49 PM 2/1/96 +0000, Chuck Foster wrote:
>Hi,
>
>What is the correct way for a browser to render something like:

>The reason I ask is that the 2b6 Netscape Navigator has suddenly
>changed the way it is rendered from a single line to a line with
>another blank underneath.
>
>This meant that the various tables that took advantage of that in
>order to still maintain lines for non-table browsers now look
>horrendous, as the text does not align correctly (yes valign=top will
>do so, but that isn't the point!).
>
>So what should the rendering be?

I haven't reread the draft to be sure what it says, but FWIW, I looked at
the BrowserCaps test for this [1] and there seems to be wide variation in
interpretation.  Some browsers interpret a trailing <br> in a table as a
real line and some ignore it.

[1] http://www.objarts.com/bc/Generated/test-BreakInTablePost.html
David Ornstein
Outbreak: http://objarts.com/outbreak-unreg