Subject: Re: Questions and comments
Author:  www-talk@w3.org at SMTPINET
Date:    2/1/96 5:43 AM

This is a copy of a message I sent to Jim Merritt a couple of weeks ago.

>Jim Merritt wrote,
>
>> Please substantiate this.  My original posting was one - and ONLY one -
>> sentence.  I maintain that you are lying.
>
>and earlier
>
>>     Actually, what it tells me is that they have information flow control
>>     more like corporations than universities, and that they should look
>>     there for possibly already configured solutions to their problem.  The
>>     firewalls mailing list address such things commonly.
>>
>>     Beats me why folks keep bringing in their own prejudices to a comon p
>>     roblem.  A shame they are blocked by their own fears and wind up
>>     re-inventing the wheel.  Ah well.....
>
>I replied that I had read that in an earlier post he had commented that the
>college in question had expelled a student for an improper download.  If I
>have misrepsented the source of this information then I apologise.  I was
>not lying, I was mistaken.
>
>I do not keep copies of this stuff but will search the list logs for the
>comment.
>
>Once again please accept my apologies if I misrepresented you but the
>over-reaction is quite unnecessary.
>
>Alastair Aitken (http://www.unl.ac.uk/~alastair/")

I confess to not understanding his reaction.  A year or so ago I helped him
install his www/gopher server and recently he helped a colleague of mine
install a news server.  His accusation that I was "lying" is therefore a
little difficult to fathom.  I was not aware that he might take offence at
what I had to say.

I did, however, attribute to him a comment that he maintains he did not
make.  For this I offer him my apology.

Alastair Aitken.