Re: Microsoft IE -- it just gets better and better

> On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Just specifying text/netscape-html probably works for 90% of the
> I disagree, although I'd like to be able to agree.  If Netscape had
> implemented this when they first added extensions to HTML, this would be
> workable.

If NetScape had done that, we'd also have lots of real-world
experience doing content negotiation.

> This is a stopgap solution, but it doesn't fill the 'gap'.  Old versions
> of Netscape and other browsers would prevent this from working.

I agree completely. However, this argument applies to ANY stopgap
solution. It also hinders a "complete" solution - content providers
have to either deal with older browsers (including the NetScape 0.9
I'm still getting hits from) or ignore them.

Unless there is a complete solution that's close, some form of stopgap
would be a real benefit to almost everyone.

	<mike