Re: Microsoft IE -- it just gets better and better

On Sat, 27 Jan 1996, Larry Masinter wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the HTTP working group and its
> content-negotiation subgroup doesn't have a solution to the problem of
> how to do the full complement of feature-set negotiation that is
> currently supported by user agent.

I thought we agreed that there is unlikely to be a scaleable HTTP
solution;  but that Murray's modular DTD work and conditional HTML might
be more fruitful.

[excellent issue summary omitted.]

> Could most of this be handled with media type registration? E.g., if
> Netscape were to accept: text/html and text/netscape-2.0-html, then
> Microsoft's browser could express its willingness to accept either or
> both. Is this a workable solution?

No, because text/netscape-2.0-html encompasses many features, and MSIE
may only support some of these (which is true).  Therefore, MS could not
incrementally implement features encompassed by that media type and
sufficiently communicate that incremental ability.

Marc Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>, <marc@organic.com>