Re: Microsoft IE -- it just gets better and better

At 12:08 PM 1/27/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Switching gears a bit, I would agree that content negotiation will work
>properly when I am able to configure my browser to request any version
>available on the server. If I want frames (or tables, or push/pull, etc.)
>then I should be able to specify as much via my configuration. The
>problem is that [person configuring] the server is now in control of who
>receives which version, and that is backwards.

I agree that users need to have a choice.  Obviously there are better
solutions that what we have today.  I certainly think it's bad to not give
users a choice, but remember that many (some?) site *do* give this choice to
users: either by the infamous "Click here for Netscape-enhanced pages" links
or by a more sophisticated set oif user configurable preferences [1].

David

[1] Outbreak http://www.objarts.com/outbreak-unreg is an
authentication-based system which records user preferences regarding what
pages they'd like to see.
David Ornstein
Outbreak: http://objarts.com/outbreak-unreg
BrowserCaps: http://objarts.com/bc