Re: Agent-mediated access, kidcode critiques, and community standards

> obstructionism.  We are, at the base, discussing how the content of
> the Web will be understood and how we will interact with it in the
> future; these are concerns as important as they are immediate.

Exactly.  We have an opportunity to add value to existing and future
data via metadata.

> 	For those who believe that there is an immediate need to
> establish a reasonable, voluntary labelling scheme, Martijn Koster and
> Ronald Daniel have made very cogent arguments about the need to keep
> access control, labelling, and subject description apart.  Ronald

I agree, although I don't think the mechanism should be separate.
Only the values of the metadata and interpretation should differ.

> Daniel's discussion of URC indicates a working group which is dealing
> with this issue in a very cogent and complete manner.  For those who
> need something more immediately, Martijn's work with Robot exclusion
> may provide a workable, ready-to-hand solution.  According to the
> Robot exclusion standard, robots check for a file called "robots.txt"
> at any site they traverse; it lists user agent, then the partial URL

My take is that this could immediately take the form of .meta files.
/.meta for sitewide, /.../.meta for subtrees, and /.../filename.meta
for file specific.  With the additional capability of embedding the
metadata as tags in formats amenable to it (ie. HTML).  The .meta
files can be retrieved as simple files or automatically added to
MIME headers, etc.  The use of the metadata can be multifaceted.

Only general arenas and syntaxes of metadata need to be created now,
and if done carefully will be extendable to adopt all the current and
future projects relating to metadata.  (URC, OCLC, WWW.org, etc.)

> 	Ultimately, of course, it's a hack, and it would need to be
> replaced.  Several interesting methods for replacing it have been
> discussed; I believe that the URC method with SOAPs covers the ground
> very well.  I have also request to beta test the "Silk" URA, and I
> encourage others interested in this issue to do the same; if it can

Likewise...

I think that the important points are defining the metadata format
(meta meta data: <meta AUTHORITY FORMAT ...>), immediate methods of
access to metadata if it can be done in an upward compatible way
(naming conventions, proxy servers, trivially modified clients), and
persuit of very complete models of metadata, etc. access
(URN/URC/URA).

> which don't interest them.  We should not be choosing for them what
> might interest them or what they should ignore, and interim solutions
> we may have that do that should make clear that even the author's
> opinion of a work should not be its sole reference for appropriate
> audience.
>
> 			Regards,
> 				Ted Hardie
> 				NASA NAIC

I don't believe that many have seen my earlier proposals, so I'll repost
here: