Re: INCLUDES questions

From: Blake Sobiloff <bsobilof@inet.ed.gov>
Date: Tue, 23 May 1995 09:10:09 -0400
To: www-talk@www10.w3.org
At 8:14 AM 5/22/95, John Calcote wrote:
>>From my perusing of the NCSA source, this is some sort of INCLUDE
>functionality, but I can't decipher what INCLUDE is all about, can an HTML
>document include others to be sent along inline?  If so, what is the
>general algorithm for parsing the include list, that is, how to you know
>what these other files are?

The following URL points to NCSA's documentation for the use of server-side
includes (from v1.4 of httpd, but it doesn't appear to have changed from
1.3):

        http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/docs-1.4/tutorials/includes.html

Pet peeve: NCSA's httpd suppresses the "Last-modified:" (as well as
"Content-length:" the last time I looked) field if it parses a document.
While this may have been the most expedient way to handle the issue of
"just how to you figure the last-modified date of a compound document," I
believe it to be pretty bogus for many documents. If the includes point to
other documents, it is likely that those other documents also have
last-modified dates associated with them. Simply returning the most recent
date solves this problem, plus allows caching browsers and proxy hosts to
cache the documents distributed by your server -- a big win from my side of
a 14.4K swizzle-stick. :-)

--
Blake Sobiloff                             <bsobilof@inet.ed.gov>
Internet Systems Analyst/Webmaster     (speaking only for myself)