CGI 1.1 spec

From: Paul Phillips <paulp@cerf.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 22:19:51 -0700 (PDT)
To: www-talk@www10.w3.org
Cc: httpd@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Is there a more definitive copy of the CGI 1.1 spec than the one at
hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu? It has more the sense of a tutorial than a rigorous
specification.  In particular, I quote from
<URL:http://hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi/env.html>:

   In addition to these, the header lines recieved from the client, if
   any, are placed into the environment with the prefix HTTP_ followed by
   the header name. Any - characters in the header name are changed to _
   characters. The server may exclude any headers which it has already
   processed, such as Authorization, Content-type, and Content-length. If
   necessary, the server may choose to exclude any or all of these
   headers if including them would exceed any system environment limits.

   An example of this is the HTTP_ACCEPT variable which was defined in
   CGI/1.0. Another example is the header User-Agent.

There is no indication here that the header name should be turned into
all capital letters, as seems to have been done in all the examples.
True, it is a convention that environment variables be represented in all
caps, but "foo" and "FOO" are distinct and a literal interpretation of
the spec would indicate that the env variable should be called HTTP_Accept.

In summary, I know what was *meant*, but I'd much prefer something
unambiguous.  Does such a beast exist?

--
Paul Phillips                                 EMAIL: paulp@cerf.net
WWW: http://www.primus.com/staff/paulp/       PHONE: (619) 220-0850