Re: distinguishing browser types

From: Brian Gaines <gaines@fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 1995 20:00:07 -0600
To: mwm@contessa.phone.net
Cc: www-talk@www10.w3.org
In message <19950422.7464AA0.10C54@contessa.phone.net> Mike Meyer writes:
> > Currently the URL determines what is done, but I'd prefer to do content
> > negotiation and just check the Accept field to see if the MIME type
> > supported by the helper is available.
>
> And if some helper other than your supports - or claims to support -
> that mime type?

That's fine. The behavior of a helper for the x-kss MIME type we've defined
for concept maps is well-defined. Maybe one day it will graduate into a
registered MIME type. We can expect plenty of helper apps with experimental
or semi-proprietary MIME types in future. The assumption is that the MIME
type defines what the data means to a helper.

b.

Brian Gaines              Knowledge Science Institute, University of Calgary
gaines@cpsc.ucalgary.ca   Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
                          http://ksi.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/KSI
                          tel: 403-220-5901  fax: 403-284-4707