distinguishing browser types

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:57:17 +0500
To: rs@sun09.cci.com
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www10.w3.org>
Rick Silterra writes:
 > I wonder if someone could point me to some code that
 > would show how to serve up data tailored to a particular browser.
 > Specifically, I would like to serve a file with
 > some tables as <PRE> blocks for browsers that do not get tables
 > yet, and html3 table stuff for browsers that do.

Please don't key on the browser name (User-Agent) for this
functionality. The HTTP protocol has included a facility for
format negociation for several years. I hear the Apache group
has implemented it in their revision of the httpd 1.3 server.

Some folks are working on a draft that explains format negociation
in detail... sorry it's not available. For now, please
see the http spec:

http://www.w3.org/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/HTTP1.0/HTTP1.0-ID_38.html#HEADING112

Dan