Re[2]: Compuserve's Web browser

From: Mark Clear <clear@inmarket.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 15:58:07 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www10.w3.org>
I think the rumors about Compuserve's broswer "seeking and destroying"
competitive browsers may be an exagerated translation of the following,
seen on comp.infosystems.www.misc:

> One word of caution, Compuserve has implemented the
>installation program in such a way that it seeks out and tries to
>cripple any other winsock.dll file it can find in your directory
>structure.  I am sure that Compuserve will say that this is to avoid
>any possible conflicts with other winsocks, but IMHO, they are trying
>to disable any competition.  The install program demands that it rename
>any other winsock.dll file it finds.  The program will not load if this
>is not done.  Renaming a winsock file in the Netmanage or Trumpet
>directory will effectively kill those programs from ever running unless
>you manually go in and rename the winsock file properly.
>
>To make doubly sure that you don't run a competitive product (again
>IMHO), they load their winsock.dll in your Windows directory so that
>their winsock (which by the way is only compatible with their software)
>will load every time you run windows.  How nice. . .

Not very friendly, but I wouldn't exactly call my lawyer over it, either.

| Mark Clear                                  Internet: clear@inmarket.com |
| Internet Marketing Services                WWW: http://www.inmarket.com/ |
| Madison, WI                                          Phone: 608-283-3510 |
| Your Business Connection to the Internet                                 |
| Dr. Seuss predicted net surfing 40 years ago: "I bet with my net I can   |
| get those things yet!" -- The Cat In the Hat                             |