Re: Fwd: INTERNET VIRUS ALERT

From: Raymond Eisenstark <Raymond.Eisenstark@ska.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 11:36:17 -0500
To: Fell_Travis/dal11_tjfell@dal.mobil.com, Multiple recipients of list <www-talk@www10.w3.org>
Talk about hysteria!  A few points:

1. I assume this virus does its business on PCs, although that was never
   explicitly mentioned.  Just another reason to avoid them....

2. Isn't this the same "virus" that was talked about late last year?  This
   hot news is a little stale.

3. What self-respecting virus would announce its presence in the subject
   line of an email?

4. What is "an nth-complexity infinite binary loop"?  Sounds like something
   that my sainted grandmother might be impressed by, but are you going to
   fall for such mumbo-jumbo?  And, just how does it "severly [sic] damage
   the processor."?  Perhaps it melts into a pool of silicon when confronted
   by the awesome intelligence of this virus.

On a more serious note, this sort of hysteria, coupled with the non-thinking
and untimely dissemination of same, creates the popular impression that the
net is an evil place, populated with hobgoblins and bogey men of the worst
kind.  IMHO, the real problem lies in the reaction of the messengers.

BTW, what was this note doing on this list?

--
Raymond Eisenstark
+1.212.238.2588