Re: Hot Java is here! And it *rocks*

From: Michael D. Doyle <mddoyle@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 06:34:07 -0800
To: www-talk@www10.w3.org

>What's the big payoff that Java is missing? Direct interaction with
>server side apps/renderers ?  Maybe we should look into the
>possibility of Java and CCI++ coexistence.  Java seems to suit local
>rendering needs quite well (image maps, simple animations, UI tweaks),
>while CCI++ appears to handle the larger issue of 'not all client-server
>interaction is stateless HTTP', hence they seem more complimentary than
>competitive.  Of course either one could be used to do tasks the other is
>better suited to, but the same can be said for Perl and C++.

I agree.  Taking a hybrid approach would seem to make sense.  In fact we
we're planning to do something like that, using safe-Tcl instead of Java.

* Michael D. Doyle, Ph.D.                      email: mddoyle@netcom.com *
* Chairman and Chief Executive Officer              phone: (510)567-1677 *
* Eolas Technologies Incorporated                     fax: (510)567-1665 *
* 7677 Oakport St., Suite 646                                            *
* Oakland, CA 94621                                                      *
*                                   World Wide Web: http://www.eolas.com *
*        Eolas: The Internet Isn't for Passive Browsers Anymore          *