Basic authentication/encryption methodology

From: Roy L. Roberts <roberts@165.113.1.22>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 1995 20:14:12 -0800
To: www-talk@www19.w3.org
I apologize to those of you to whom this request is inappropriate, but
I'm stumped. I'm having a truly terrible time trying to determine what
the real algorithm is for basic authentication. The 1.0 draft says uuencoded,
the Cern pages refer me to 1421, but when I try these approaches the output
doesn't match the encoding created by current browsers. I know I'm
missing something really basic. If someone with more knowledge and a
clearer head would throw me some pointers I'd really appreciate it.

Roy

Roy L. Roberts       NetWings...Harnessing the Power of the WWW
roberts@crl.com                 NetWings Info Site
(707) 874-1448           <http://netwings.com/nest.html>