Re: Right to Link vs proposed Australian “link fee” legislation

A major part of the issues isn't payments, it's discoverability, and the fact that for the most part, discoverability is currently pretty much monopolized and monetized via advertising companies.

There is a disturbing trend in the amount of time people stay on the search engines: click-through rates have dropped significantly because content is repurposed and contextualized in the results, making it even harder for content providers to generate revenue via advertising, micropayments etc. With AI using crawled data to generate models that make the providers somewhat obsolete, it's even worse and really aggravates the issue of discoverability, and thence monetization.

Given the above, it's not surprising to see things like this emerge. Until the discovery problem is solved, it's kind of inevitable.