Re: Firefox addin to replace 404 pages with archived pages from wayback machine

On 8 August 2016 at 17:02, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com> wrote:

> Just to be clear, I said in my initial post that as long as the addin or
> feature was running at the user's request with clear indication of which
> content is from 404 pages, I don't think there's a violation of Web arch.
>
> My point was that: whether or not deleting pages (I.e. taking URIs that
> were 200 or 3XX and making them 404) is something we discourage on policy
> grounds, it's a supported and important part of Web arch. When I make a
> page 404 I usually have good reasons, and in general I expect users to see
> the page I return with the 404. I believe that's that the pertinent
> specifications call for, and should remain the default behavior of user
> agents.

Let's say a user has bookmarked a page for reference.  And that page has
moved, but is yet archived.  I can see value for a user to see the material
that she had seen before, from an archived version.

4xx is indicated to the user agent, and I think that fundamentally in web
arch the user is the ultimate curator of the content presented.