Re: Draft [URL] reference update to informative text

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:54:38 +0200
To: Martynas Jusevičius <martynas@graphity.org>
Cc: David Sheets <sheets@alum.mit.edu>, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Martynas Jusevičius
<martynas@graphity.org> wrote:
> Last time browser vendors applied this kind of reasoning we got
> <blink> elements, table layouts, and tag soup.
> I guess history is meant to repeat itself.

I'm not sure how that follows. <blink> was an easter egg that got out
of hand. Table layouts were done because CSS sucked for non-trivial
layout. And tag soup existed because the people in charge of defining
HTML parsing at the time deferred to SGML for that, a system so
complex that there has never really been a complete implementation.
All of these have meanwhile been largely addressed.

Not having tracked how URLs are actually used and implemented has
certainly lead to "URL soup". That's what I've been working on
addressing for a while now.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/