RE: Food for thought (resurfacing)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 05:44:12 +0000
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
CC: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, Marc Fawzi <marc.fawzi@gmail.com>, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
I know the Nest does auto-update. But it’s also $249.
How much would a non-auto-update one cost?
What if I want a 3rd-party security scan of my company’s thermostat code?
The thermostats of a building can become critical infrastructure.
Imagine a thermostat where all the web part does is show weather warnings.
Is auto-update really important here? You don’t want to support a web
thermostat where the browser is in ROM and optional?

I have lots of devices on my home network – printers, pcs, mobiles, pads,
receiver, remote, thermostat, tv, blue-ray, roku, cable box, routers,
personal peripheral (FitBIt).

Most of them could logically use the web. And most aren’t auto-update,
don’t need it, don’t need updates, the web is just a piece of what they
do. I’m spending way too much time babying updates. This is a good
architecture for whom?

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net

Yes, and if you have a Nest, you'll understand that it DOES auto-update.

Rather, than, say, sandboxing the display module? Auto-update isn't a security panacea.

Doesn't it cost more to build auto-updating thermostats; are non-updating ones out of scope for the web?