Re: Ending DTD proliferation at the W3C

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:47:32 +0100
To: Paul Libbrecht <paul@hoplahup.net>, "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>
CC: www-tag@w3.org
On 14/01/2014 09:21 , Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> your suggestion ignores a function of DTDs which, I feel, is still
> relevant: DTDs are vocabulary helpers. Using a DTD you can declare
> implied attributes including implied namespaces. That means that you
> can, together with a DTD, distribute much more readable XML sources.

Please, please no. Using the external subset in order to default
namespace declarations is a really, really bad practice. Processing the
external subset is optional, which means that when you apply this sort
of trick your documents will have completely different Infosets from one
processor to the next.