Re: Packaging on the Web

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 13:13:17 -0500
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>

On 2/2/2014 12:36 PM, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> A new type that had the same syntax as a multipart type but had a sniffable boundary (ie started with --boundary) might be better than using a multipart/* content type.

Doesn't this raise the obvious question about escaping content that happens
to have the fixed marker? I don't love the lookahead requirement implied in
encoding arbitrary content for multipart-mime, but at least it works with
most any content, and in many case one knows in advance from the type of
the content which markers will be OK.

This is a sufficiently obvious concern that I suspect you've got a good
(and perhaps equally obvious) answer ready. I.e. I know I'm probably just
missing something about the use cases.

Noah