RE: Preparing to Publish HTTPS Finding

Can you perhaps be more articulate about what you find odious about LetsEncrypt et al? Presumably they don't actually ask for any first-borns, so some concrete examples would be helpful to determine if this is indeed a legitimate concern.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric J. Bowman [mailto:eric@bisonsystems.net]
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 17:43
To: Chris Palmer
Cc: Melvin Carvalho; Daniel Appelquist; TAG List; Ian Jacobs
Subject: Re: Preparing to Publish HTTPS Finding

Chris Palmer wrote:

> As has been shown multiple times, there are ways for people to serve
> HTTPS for 0 additional dollars.

OK, I'm the lone voice in the wilderness here, but those free certificates remain too odious for serious consideration. If I can't get a free cert without signing over my first-born, it's too expensive.
So I'd rather not see this as TAG's fallback position, that my being unwilling to sign over my first-born is not to be taken seriously as an obstacle to wider adoption. Free != without cost.

-Eric