Re: Preparing to Publish HTTPS Finding

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 15:42:38 -0700
To: Chris Palmer <palmer@google.com>
Cc: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com>, TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Chris Palmer wrote:

> As has been shown multiple times, there are ways for people to serve
> HTTPS for 0 additional dollars.

OK, I'm the lone voice in the wilderness here, but those free
certificates remain too odious for serious consideration. If I can't
get a free cert without signing over my first-born, it's too expensive.
So I'd rather not see this as TAG's fallback position, that my being
unwilling to sign over my first-born is not to be taken seriously as an
obstacle to wider adoption. Free != without cost.

-Eric