From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 19:31:36 -0700
To: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson)
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag\@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> Some non-anecdotal evidence, albeit still subject to varying
> interpretations, is available in a talk summarising my analysis of
> two sets of cache-logs, from June 2013 and June 2014:
>
>   http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/HST_noREST.pdf
>
> Start at slide 13 and stop after slide 15 if you're not interested in
> my critique of REST, but just want to see the numbers.

Detailed discussion of your thesis is best left to rest-discuss, but in
a nutshell, my position is that we *did* break the Web -- backed up by
your data, amongst others -- and need to rediscover REST.

Except the conneg stuff. Are you really saying nobody compresses HTTP
payloads on the wire? Because that's a real-world instance of conneg I
highly doubt nobody uses. Personally, I cache compressed content and
unzip it on the fly, to save CPU on the Celerons driving the budget
webhosting world, which finally got around to Vx and threading but still
aren't up to the task of ubiquitous HTTPS any more than the SPARC T1.

What forms of conneg were you looking for, but apparently didn't find?

-Eric