Re: [Json] Encoding detection (Was: Re: JSON: remove gap between Ecma-404 and IETF draft)

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 12:22:51 -0500
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@hsivonen.fi>
Cc: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>, Pete Cordell <petejson@codalogic.com>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, JSON WG <json@ietf.org>, "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <jhildebr@cisco.com>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, tbray@textuality.com, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Henri Sivonen scripsit:

> > I think it's fair to object to requiring sniffing, and I support not
> > requiring it.  I don't see anything wrong with leaving those in for
> > those who want to include support for it.
>
> Optional features are a trap.

No doubt.  But what's stated in the RFC is given as a matter of fact,
with no MUST, SHOULD, or even MAY.  Since we have adopted a change
which makes it no longer factual, we should IMO revise it so it is
again factual, and leave it at that.

> The notion that in theory, maybe, someone might use a non-UTF-8
> encoding for something,

Not "might use", but "may already be using".

>  * Accepting your analogy leads not only to supporting UTF-32 but also
> to supporting various non-UTF encodings, which would be even worse
> than suggesting that UTF-16 and UTF-32 be supported in addition to
> UTF-8.

They are already banned by the SHALL in section 3.

> Of course, such testing takes work, so banning UTF-16 and UTF-32 would
> avoid such work. :-)

Banning unpaired surrogates, non-integers, etc. etc. would have saved
us work too.

--
John Cowan  <cowan@ccil.org>  http://ccil.org/~cowan
Micropayment advocates mistakenly believe that efficient allocation of