Re: Meaningless: towards a real-world web semantics observatory

On Wednesday, March 27, 2013, Christian Bizer wrote:

> Hi Noah and Alex,
>
> > Would it be easy/reasonable/in-the-spirit-**of-the-thing to extend it
> start gathering statistics on JSON, XML, various forms of RDF, RDF-a, etc?
>
> Some deployment statistics for RDFa are provided by
> http://www.webdatacommons.org/

That's exciting data that I wasn't aware of before! Glad to see it exists.
How often are these crawls scheduled?

> The project does not use a browser plug-in for gathering the statistics,
> but extracts RDFa as well as Microdata and Microformats from the
> CommonCrawl, a large publicly available web crawl.

Right, so it's also going to miss anything that JS adds to a page, which is
a shame.

> Detailed statistics from the last extraction (Mid 2012, 3 billion HTML
> pages) are found at
>
> http://www.webdatacommons.org/**2012-08/stats/stats.html<http://www.webdatacommons.org/2012-08/stats/stats.html>
>
> HTML pages are included into the CommonCrawl based on their PageRank. Thus
> the crawl is likely to cover the popular part of the Web, but things get
> sparse on the less interlinked sites.
>
> As  meaningless with its browser-extension based data collection approach
> might also cover such pages, I think it will be interesting to see whether
> the statistics from both projects will point into the same direction. As
> far as I can see, they currently do to a large extent :-)

The stats I'm gathering are very sparse for now. We'll need to get quite a
bit more data before inferring anything from it.