Re: AWWW second edition, maybe -- terminology

On 6/7/2013 9:56 AM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> But we don't have to_use_  that terminology extensively in our own
> prose, if we don't think it suits_our_  explanatory aims.

I suppose we don't >have to< but why wouldn't it be best to try and bring
the community together around a consistent set of terminology? It seems to
me that if there's key abstraction in HTTP and HTTP is central to Web arch,
then we should explain how that abstraction fits into Web arch. If the
terminology in a spec like RFC 2616 (bis) isn't serving the community well,
then our first choice should be to work with all concerned to evolve to
more useful terminology that we can all use consistently.

What we call things is important. Having conflicting terminology for key
abstractions tends to cause trouble I think.

Jonathan Rees wrote:

> If there is terminology that *cannot* be explained and whose use inexorably leads to confusion, then the TAG can help lead the community away from confusion simply by being careful to avoid use of that terminology.

Sure, but I would think that a fine marker of success would be getting that
new terminology into the pertinent specifications as well as into AWWW.

Noah