Re: AWWW second edition, maybe -- terminology

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> To try to take this conversation forward, [1][2] contain (with diffs
> highlighted) a new Abstract, which removes 'resource', and introduces
> the 'active' aspect of the Web, as follows:
>
>   The World Wide Web uses relatively simple technologies with
>   sufficient scalability, efficiency and utility that they have
>   resulted in a remarkable interconnected space of information and
>   services, growing across languages, cultures and media. In an effort
>   to preserve these properties of the space as the technologies
>   evolve, this architecture document discusses the core design
>   components of the Web. They are identification of information and
>   services,

Information isn't identified though, the source is what's identified.
We know this because when the information changes, the identifier
doesn't need to change.

> representation of information state

What's "information state"?

> and service requests,
>   and the protocols that support the interaction between agents in the
>   space. We relate core design components, constraints, and good
>   practices to the principles and properties they support.
>
> Does this look like the kind of direction we'd like to move in?

Not IMO. I don't think any description of Web architecture is complete
without acknowledging the distinction between the data and its source.
AFAICT, the only way to do that is with a word that's synonymous with
"resource".

Mark.