Re: Highlighting issue of XML support in DOM 4

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM, Daniel Glazman <daniel@glazman.org> wrote:
> Honestly, removing xmlStandalone, xmlVersion and xmlEncoding is
> a weird decision since all rendering engines keep internal non-
> scriptable versions of them to be able to serialize all things XML.
>
> http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/content/base/public/nsIDocument.h#1016
>
> http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/114059

It's not entirely clear to me what the motivation was reading through
that WebKit bug. Nonetheless, much internal state throughout the web
platform is not exposed. I don't think that's particularly weird.

> And if you need a use case, as I said earlier, an editor BlueGriffon
> need access to the xml declaration to handle polyglot correctly.

I don't think polyglot markup is worthy of our time:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2013Jan/0042.html

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/