Re: The non-polyglot elephant in the room

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> I am opposed to this working group encouraging polyglot markup or
> appearing to encourage polyglot markup, because I don't want to spend
> time at implementing something as useless as polyglot validation and I
> don't want to be explaining to a horde of designers why I don't if
> this polyglot stuff finds its way into an A List Apart article or
> similar. Also, I'd much rather see the development time of authoring
> tools such as BlueGriffon go into providing a better UI for authoring
> HTML instead of chasing polyglot markup.

The web developer community went through this exercise once before
(around 2002-2006) to see what it took to use XHTML. That was so hard
that almost all those participating are now using HTML (again). By
publishing this document you'll get the same experiment, but with even
tougher requirements. It will waste the time of those naive enough to
take it serious, and indeed, waste the time of those not naive through
misguided activism.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/