Re: linking and copyright

On 2/18/2013 8:48 AM, Thomas Roessler wrote:

 >Looks like interesting reading:
 >http://www.ivir.nl/news/European_Copyright_Society_Opinion_on_Svensson.pdf

I'd be grateful if someone with legal qualifications could confirm, but my
impression is that this is a strong endorsement of the proposition that
linking typically cannot constitute copyright infringement.

If I understand correctly, this ruling does suggest that there may be
limited situations relating to (from item 7 in the "General" section):

(a) Accessory liability (particularly in respect of knowingly facilitating
the making of illegal copies);6
(b) Unfair competition;
(c) Infringement of moral rights;
(d) Circumvention of technological measures.

in which linking might after all possibly constitute or contribute to
infringement. Do I have that right? If so, seems like a very sensible
ruling to me. Thank you.

Noah