Re: [Json] Response to Statement from W3C TAG

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 02:40:55 +0100
To: Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>
Cc: JSON WG <json@ietf.org>, "es-discuss@mozilla.org list" <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, www-tag@w3.org
* Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
>This whole issue of the use of Syntax Diagrams rather than BNF is a
>stylist debate that is hard to take seriously. If TC39 informed you that
>we are converting the notation used in ECMA-404 to a BNF formalism would
>that end the objections  to normatively referencing  ECMA-404 from
>4627bis?  Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.

If TC39 said ECMA-404 is going to be replaced by a verbatim copy of the
ABNF grammar in draft-ietf-json-rfc4627bis-08 with pretty much no other
discussion of JSON and a clear indication that future editions will not
add such discussion, and will not change the grammar without IETF con-
sensus, I would be willing to entertain the idea of making ECMA-404 a
normative reference.

How soon would TC39 be able to make such a decision and publish a re-
vised edition of ECMA-404 as described above?