Re: URL work in HTML 5

On 2012-09-25 16:14, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:

> On 9/25/2012 9:27 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
>>
>> I believe that the idea is that once the rules that describe
>> processing as
>> it happens are written down, you write test suites that can prove
>> conformance. This does tend to have a strong effect, particularly if
>> coupled with rules about processing erroneous input.
>
> Well, half of the HTML5 spec is devoted to documenting cases where
> individual browsers were liberal, the conformance suites (like the W3C
> validator) were not used by producers, the invalid data on the wire
> became commonplace, and now the specification is complicated by the need
> to support the union of all these deviations.
>
>> Well-defined error handling that produces something predictable (rather
>> than blow up) is actually a modern and more pragmatic reformulation of
>> Postel, IMHO.
>
> My concern is not with well-defined error handling; it's with not
> putting equal emphasis on inducing producers to cleanup their act too.

Also coming up with definitions of syntax and algorithms (such as
reference resolution) which is *slightly* different from RFC 3986, and
also the introduction of unnecessary scheme-specific special-casing
(such as fragid handling of data URIs, which is broken in Webkit and
Opera, but works correctly in Firefox).

Best regards, Julian