Re: Registration of acct: as a URI scheme has been requested

On 6/23/12 6:49 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> As you know I don't need convinced of the benefits of linked data,
>>> but I would like convinced that the acct: scheme is required; so far
>>> I've not seen any evidence of this, other existing techs can do the
>>> job, and RFC6415 appears to cover the cases where identifiers aren't
>>> URIs.
>>>
>>> I do accept though that saying a URI is useless is was far to
>>> strong, what I meant to say, or imply, was that creating a new
>>> scheme when not required may not be the best path to take - which I
>>> had thought was the point of this thread, and thus discussed then
>>> offered an alternative.
>>
>> The net effect of creating an new URI scheme could be costly in some
>> context (e.g. today's World Wide Web dominated by one type of user
>> agent, the Web Browser). Not necessarily so re.,  other contexts.
>>

>>> WebFinger is valuable, to the web, and the web of linked data, and
>>> I'd be keen to see it get to where it needs to be with as little red
>>> tape and limitations possible, if acct: can be swapped out for
>>> ?acct= without it impeding functionality, and speed up the process,
>>> then that's what I'd personal opt for.
>>
>> Here's how I've used acct: (since I first encountered Webfinger) for
>> both WebID and my Profile data in general:
>>
>> 1. http://bit.ly/KtaGwI -- searching on my acct: scheme URI
>> 2. http://bit.ly/MEqals -- full profile
>> 3. http://bit.ly/KFeYG3 -- looking at inverse functional property
>> effects on co-references
>> 4. http://bit.ly/KTWCCx -- ditto but via explicit co-reference via
>> owl:sameAs relationships.
>
> I commend your use of URIs, however I still can't see what clear
> utility the proposed 'acct:' scheme brings to the broad internet
> community, beyond that which is already available.

Its utility is all about delivering an intuitive URI based name
(denotation) mechanism based on the familiar email address pattern.
Email Addresses are commonly used on the Web as personal identifiers.
Most end-users don't see their identities and their accounts as being
distinct.

What's the utility of an http: scheme URI assuming a non ubiquitous Web
or a Web where user agents didn't support this URI scheme by default?

My point remains the same, the issue here is one of perceived and actual
adoption costs. Those aren't reasons for invalidating use of alternative
URI schemes.

We shouldn't make choices for people. It always better to present
choices en route to letting them choose. In due course, the best
solution wins out.

There will come a day or reckoning for the 12+ year odyssey on the
Semantic Web vision. When that day arises, I am extremely confident that
most will realize that this was the ultimate example of how a great
thing can go awry when its implementation infrastructure is delivered as
a mandate rather than a choice .

> What requirement is fulfilled by the 'acct:' scheme that isn't already
> handled by other schemes?
> What does it enable, or what is gained by it's use?
> What other techs might it make possible?
>
> If there is a real gap for a scheme which can be used to mint
> identifiers for the class of things which are user accounts, then
> shouldn't that need be looked at closely and it be determined whether
> the scheme specification is open and robust enough to stand the test
> of time?
>
>  acctURI      =  "acct:" userpart "@" domainpart
>
> This seems very limited, if acct: is to be rolled out at internet
> level, then why not open it up more, certainly acct:twitter.com/webr3
> may be useful, are fragments useful, how many of these questions have
> been looked at, and how deeply has this new scheme been considered
> beyond the very specific use case it's been designed to work for/around?
>
> I'm not trying to knock or stall anything here, just to nudge towards
> the notion that it may be either (a) unneeded, or (b) needed and
> possible to improve/generalise to add even more utility.

It might be subjectively unneeded but lets leave folks to make their
choice about such matters. I am sure you recall that RDF (once a syntax
inextricably bound to a model -- due to poor messaging) was also
mandated for the Semantic Web, then for Linked Data, and the end result
has been nothing but artificial inertia with regards to escape velocity .

Cost effectiveness is a subject thing too. Thus, it can never be the
basis for invalidating something that's subjectively useful.

There only thing that I can attest to objectively (in my world view)  is
the utility of URIs. That's about it :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO