Re: Registration of acct: as a URI scheme has been requested

On 6/23/12 3:34 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>> Because, that's forcing the issue re. http: scheme URIs. Again, being an optimal solution isn't the basis for a futile mandate.
>> >
>> >Goal: URI based Linked Data. Basically, achieving Linked Data without http: scheme URI specificity. It can be done, and this is what the likes of Webfinger enable via acct: scheme URIs.
> But there is already a problem: should it be linked to an http or https URL?
> If it is only http, then there can be man in the middle attacks, changing information along the way. So that they soon will need an acctSec: scheme too.

I don't really get that point. URIs are just URIs. Systems will use them
differently.

>> >Give folks choice. We've already burnt years trying to force a RDF syntaxes on folks, now we are repeating the same thing with URIs. The conceptual framework of a system must always be distinct from implementation components. http: scheme URI, RDF syntaxes etc.. are components used to implement a specific system. Their cost-effectiveness is not the basis for eliminating alternative approaches.

>> >The issue is: human oriented natural keys (acct: scheme names) vs one synthetic (system generated) alternative (http: scheme names) that's natural to the host system, in this case the World Wide Web.
> accnt:joe@bblfish.net  is not human understandable.

I didn't say: acct:joe@bblfish.net was human understandable.

I am saying, as system and its promoters can tell explain:
acct:joe@bblfish.net as an identifier which much more ease than:
http://bblfish.net/joe#this . The latter implies data access, but naming
doesn't mandate data access, its only de-referenable naming (key
functionality) that requires name (denotation), indirection, and data
(resource) access packed into a name.

> It clearly comes from people who already know about URIs, markup, standards and such like.

The system generates that. This systems need end-user adoption. Adoption
requires some conceptual introduction, overtly or covertly.

>   What people are going to pass to each other on post cards will be much simpler things likejon@smith.net

Yes, and the postcard system will know what to do the the URI in question.

> The accnt thing is not simple enough, and it is not even secure.

I don't get the point re. security. The is no such thing as an
inherently secure or insure URI scheme. That's a system attribute.

>   It requires people to adopt a pattern of publishing information on their web servers, which few other standards require.

End-users don't directly administer HTTP servers. They do so indirectly,
by working with systems the include HTTP server functionality.

BTW -- you can deploy Linked Data via Google Drive, SkyDrive, DropBox
etc.. And when they add proper mime type handling, the notion of direct
HTTP server interaction will move further away from end-users :-)

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen