Re: Registration of acct: as a URI scheme has been requested

On 6/21/12 11:01 AM, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:
>> looks like the registration form is missing pointers to the actual semantics
>> of the scheme as well as to the only actual use case.
> In defense of the webfinger draft, the form of the registration is no
> different from the http: scheme registration in this respect.  In both
> cases, the syntax of the URIs is specified, but the registration
> section of the RFC says almost nothing about semantics. Yes, there is
> strong guilt by association because the scheme description happens to
> occur inside the documentation of a protocol, but the HTTP protocol
> (like webfinger) can be used with any kind of URI, and there is no
> explicit statement in the RFC linking the scheme to the protocol.

+1

> There is the one semantic-sounding statement 'The "http" scheme is
> used to locate network resources via the HTTP protocol' but this is
> completely uninformative since other schemes, such as ftp:, can *also*
> be used to locate network resources via the HTTP protocol.

+1

Hopefully,  you can see how this becomes a major HttpRange-14 imbroglio
vector. Some folks go to this particular spec and conclude that a URI
can only be a resource locator. The "I" in "URI" becomes the Identifier
for the Resource at a Location (which is also a safe denotation
mechanism in the Web medium for Web resources). Then we have RDF that's
primarily about denotative use of URIs, solely; and then we the Linked
Data meme that espouses denotation and resource identification packed
into a single URI via implicit or explicit indirection, subject to
choice of hash or hashless http: URIs.

> I don't think HTTPbis is substantially different from 2616 in this
> respect, either.
>
> So, if the criticism applies to acct:, it also applies to http:.

Amen!

Kingsley