Re: Fw: CfC: Close ISSUE-177: ietf-id-wip by Amicable Resolution

Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, 2012-01-26 20:44 +0100:

> On 2012-01-26 20:38, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> >Julian Reschke<julian.reschke@gmx.de>, 2012-01-26 15:14 +0100:
> >
> >>The IETF says "don't cite this without this disclaimer".
> >
> >>From where exactly are you quoting that phrase?
> >
> >   --Mike
>
> From the boilerplate:
>
>    Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
>    and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
>    time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
>    material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."
>
> (from <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoehrmann-javascript-scheme-03>
> which HTML5 cites)

OK, but I still don't see anywhere there the phrase "don't cite this
without this disclaimer" you put into quotation marks.

Anyway, as far as disclaimers, you may have noticed that the "Status of
this document" section of the HTML spec includes text which explicitly
states (verbatim), "Implementors should be aware that this specification is
not stable.  Implementors who are not taking part in the discussions are
likely to find the specification changing out from under them in
incompatible ways.

That disclaimer implicitly applies to any documents that the spec
normatively references which also might not be stable.

Maybe you have suggestions about how to make it more clear in the SOTD that
the spec itself (including whatever other documents it might normatively
reference) is overall a "work in progress".

  --Mike

--
Michael[tm] Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/+