Re: Installing web apps

On 2/1/12 3:23 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Wednesday, 1 February 2012 at 16:42, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>
>> Note that when people talk about installation, they often immediately discuss
>> packaging and manifest formats, which will need to be defined,
> Um… we have a REC for that, remember?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/
>> and for which
>> we might have more than one, but is not the crux of the issue -- the crux is
>> allowing it access to precious and/or sensitive resources.
>>
> Wow, I'm *really* doub-founded (yet) again. Tim, are my emails going to your spam folder or something? Or are you deliberately just ignoring the widget work the W3C already invested 6 years on? We already solved all this stuff in the Widgets specs. I don't know why you keep ignoring them?
>
> Please go and read:
>
> http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/WidgetSpecs
>
> Please see:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/#the-feature-element-and-its-attributes
>
> Please see projects like PhoneGap and WAC (that make use of W3C widgets to enable device APIs):
>
> http://phonegap.com/
> http://specs.wacapps.net/
>

> --
> Marcos Caceres
> http://datadriven.com.au

Marcos,

Every application can't be seen as a widget.

What's being sought here is a self describing resource that serves as a
manifest. The resource in question would be format agnostic, its base
schema would be fundamental i.e., in the form of eav/spo triples (or
3-tuples) plus URIs in the e(s), a(p), and v(o) slots. URIs would be
resolvable.

This about a resource that is endowed with the following:

1. profile descriptiveness of FOAF
2. RESTful interaction at the HTTP level
3. ditto but via HTML pages via Web Intents -- so delivering RESTful
interaction patterns via HTML documents if user agents seek to operate
that level instead of HTTP.

Of course, one representation of such resouce could be interpreted as a
Widget, but that's one interpretation of a data payload, not the sole
option.

Tim is oriented towards more abstraction than the specificity of a
widget, methinks. This abstraction is ultimately a function of loosely
coupling the following:

1. data model
2. data representation syntax
3. data serialization formats