Re: Logging out from Facebook

On 25 Sep 2011, at 20:11, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 25 sept. 2011 à 13:59, L. David Baron a écrit :
>> That said, I keep hearing about how sites are or may be using other
>> methods to track users (flash local shared objects, fingerprinting),
>> possibly in combination with each other.

Then you put up APIs so that flash databases also get tied to the identity,
or at least you provide the hooks and document it well, so that it is clear where
the problem is.

In any case I am not always concerned about my identity leaking between sites. I sometimes want that to happen, such as when I log on to different social networks with the same global identity. But if I change identity I would like to have guarantees about that, and especially know when which identity I am using, and not have to rely on the sites to do that for me.

> Yup and each time we create a mechanism to block, the ads
> industry will decipher another hole for tracking users.
> It is a tough issue a bit like spam. On one side a powerful
> distributed industry which really wants to track users
> across sites; on the other side not enough people with a
> will (or conscience) to not be tracked.
>
> Interesting experiment of the day.
> Start a clean profile of your browser
> (for example with Opera, you can do on the command line
>   /Applications/Opera.app/Contents/MacOS/Opera -ps foo&
> )
>
> Then go to http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/view
> Use the browser for one day, as you would normally do.
> Then go again to http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/view
> And it will shows how you have been categorized after one day
> of browsing on the Web and this only for DoubleClick

thanks for that info.

> --
> Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/
> Developer Relations & Tools, Opera Software

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/