Re: Arrested - re: TAG ISSUE-25 deep linking

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:24:34 -0500 (EST)
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
cc: "Martin J. D?rst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, TAG List <www-tag@w3.org>
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> It seems to me this approach is fundamentally different, from a Web
> Architecture _and_ a copyright perspective, from what
> e.g. cyclingfans.com [5] does, which is aggregate information about
> live streaming coverage of cycle races, using distant-references.  In
> particular, any attempt to describe the channelsurfing.net case as
> "just another deep-linking case" is at best a gross
> over-simplification.

There are two things here, linking to an existing and copyrighted source
on the original site, and linking to copyrighted material copied on
another site (without the author's consent).
Your cyclingfans.com example is the first case.

So we have the said material hosted on servers in country A, linking site
being in country B and the user being in country C.

If country A does have a copyright law that allow copying without user
content, is linking to it illegal in country B, if not, and if retrieving
copied copyrighted material is illegal in country C, is the user doing
something illegal ?

         ~~Yves