Re: Arrested - re: TAG ISSUE-25 deep linking

Btw, the mail archives loose a lot of information in mails such as yours, as they remove the HTML links that it contains, and only show the text version. TimBL's thread is stored here

http://www.w3.org/mid/C05B172D-578E-40C1-A130-4AF42D9DDCBB@w3.org

Notice that the links are not available in the archive. Is this because issue 25 is not resolved? ;-)

Henry

On 9 Mar 2011, at 11:18, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> It seems Issue-25 has been escalated.
> Tim
>
> Re: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/25
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: "David Segal, DemandProgress.org" <info@demandprogress.org>
>> Date: 2011-03-09 0:09:36 GMT
>> Subject: Arrested
>>
>> Breaking news: Demand Progress has obtained documents that reveal a radical shift in how law enforcement is policing the Internet.
>>
>> Brian McCarthy ran a website that linked to various sites where you could watch online streams of TV shows and sports networks. A couple months ago, the government seized his domain name and on Friday theyarrested him and charged him with criminal copyright infringement -- punishable by five years in prison.  We just dug up the complaint, and you can view it here.
>>
>> Click here to tell the government that there's nothing illegal about linking to another website -- and that they need to drop the charges right away!
>>
>> The complaint reveals that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) don't even allege that McCarthy made a copy of anything! Just that his site linked to various sites with copyrighted material. Under that sort of thinking, everyone who's sent around a link to a copyrighted YouTube video is a criminal.
>>
>> This is another shocking overreach by DHS and ICE -- a steamship-era department that's proving once again that it doesn't understand the Internet.
>>
>> We need to push back -- and fast -- before they try to lock up more Americans.  Will you click here to tell DHS and ICE to back off?
>>
>> Thanks for fighting back.
>>
>> -- The Demand Progress team
>>
>> P.S. This is a critical fight with huge ramifications for Internet freedom.  Will you forward this petition to your friends and help us make sure that DHS and ICE know we're disgusted with their abusive behavior?
>>

>> Paid for by Demand Progress (DemandProgress.org) and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. Contributions are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.
>> --

Social Web Architect
http://bblfish.net/