Re: [IAB] 'HTTP State Management Mechanism' to Proposed Standard

From: John C Klensin <klensin@jck.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 07:48:36 -0500
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
cc: "=JeffH" <Jeff.Hodges@KingsMountain.com>, IETF HTTP State WG <http-state@ietf.org>, Internet Architecture Board <iab@iab.org>, www-tag@w3.org, Bil Corry <bil@corry.biz>, httpstate chair <httpstate-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>, Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com>

--On Saturday, March 05, 2011 16:45 -0800 Larry Masinter
<masinter@adobe.com> wrote:

> If you're revisiting history:
>
> There were a lot of issues raised and settled during the
> development of HTTP 1.1 in the '90s, but the differences
> between "what we're doing and don't want to change" and "what
> should be" over cookies were irreconcilable at the time; 2616
> and 2617 got published without cookies, and a separate group
> went on to publish 2965. I think you could say it was "out of
> sync with how browsers were actually using cookies", but you
> could also say that the browser implementors were less
> interested in standards and security than they were in
> competitive advantage.

This is pretty much consistent with my recollection (I was
"responsible" AD at the time).

   john